This is an interesting article. We send our kids to public school and take great measures to be part of their education. While my wife and I believe this is the best choice for us I think there are reasons people choose homeschooling as well.
- Political correctness No one wants their kid tossed out of school or arrested for making an L shape out of a Pop-Tart.
- Religious Freedom I was personally told not to wear my Christian T-shirts in high school.
- Activities Many home school kids have a clear advantage when it comes to activities. Not only can they now participate in school district sports and clubs, but parents who homeschool usually take their child to the zoo instead of just talking about lions, tigers, and bears. Oh my…
- Personal attention Home school kids typically have less students in their classrooms.
- Success No matter how much your kid may be the teacher’s pet, no one cares more than mom and dad. And grandpa when it comes to math (Thanks Doug).
I’m not an apologist for or against the method of schooling you choose for your kids. I think both brick and mortar and home schools are legitimate.
One warning to homeschoolers though. The more kids enroll in homeschooling the more the state and federal government will seek to outlaw it. How many teachers unions, school districts,textbook publishers, educational product peddlers, high school jewelers, school photographers, architectural firms, sporting goods companies, and anyone else earning a living through the K-12 industrial complex would be OK if in ten years 25% of our children were in home school. Some will choose to adapt and others will lobby congress to make it illegal.